3.60 star(s) 21 Votes
Aug 9, 2018
Finally got to the point of the mobster fight and it's somehow worse than the previous version...

1725260888210.png

50 Health + 80 Energy + 60 fighting and winning the fight leaves you with -100 Health.

Given I won and the Health value has rounded back up to -100, I have to assume Ed is dead?

TotalFluke

Game Developer
Aug 24, 2021
That's true. I was focusing on the price/sales thing and trying to minimise any noise that might complicate the log by just passing time and sleeping unless I was forced to respond.

Below is a log starting from the same save but with multiple attempts to message Felix, Lily and Sally.
I feel like I've got your attention now so if you want me to do more tests don't hesitate to ask.

Sally got elected and started coming to Town Hall to work but couldn't be contacted before then.

Felix showed up at my club without explanations about 3.5 game months after he went AWOL and has been answering texts ever since. There's always a scene where the PI's in the club while a sensual singer puts on a sultry show for him. I guess I just had to hire the right girl and wait.

Still no sign of Lily though and there's now a couple of other unemployed NPCs who seem to have followed her into the abyss.

If you can't fix the bug you could try adding a noir murder mystery or horror sub-quest.

Notice how Lily's home and Sally's and Felix's workplaces are all undefined in game terms?
Looks like a clue to me. It's a shame we can't put Felix on the case.

Edit: I just bumped into one of the 'no response' unemployed in the cafe. As an experiment I texted "... where's she at?" while she was in the same location as the MC. No response.
I think that's what happening is this: These characters are hurt. When their health is below -40 they are considered to be too hurt to respond to text messages. Characters recover health in one of three ways: by going to the clinic to get treatment, by staying home from work and by a weekly health check update. What I didn't realize till just now is that non-club employees, like your PI and Sally don't stay home when they are hurt. Only club employees do that. And because they have regular jobs that cause them to work Mon-Fri 9-5 they can never go to the clinic to get treatment. So the only way they recover health is via the slower method of the weekly health check. Which may take months for someone to recover from a bad injury.

So the bug is that non-club employees also need to stay at home when they are hurt so that they can recover health faster. So I'll put in a fix for that. These characters will stay home when sick and instead of recovering health when staying home from work I'll change it so that they recover health when they sleep. This should reduce the chances of people taking too long to recover.

For the record, Sally's and Felix workplaces are marked "none" or "away" to indicate that they are working in some non-MC reachable location. I'm not sure how the unemployed sick person ended up in the cafe. They are not supposed to roam about in that state, unless they were brought by a scene that didn't check their health status (e.g. she was the stalker on someone else's date).

May 23, 2023
I'm not sure how the unemployed sick person ended up in the cafe. They are not supposed to roam about in that state, unless they were brought by a scene that didn't check their health status (e.g. she was the stalker on someone else's date).
Lily eventually showed up but she was missing for quite a bit longer than Felix despite staying at home to heal. Is it likely she got hurt badly enough to need more than four months home rest? (BTW, does the MC also heal from mobster fights more quickly by staying in the club and just passing time and sleeping between visits to the clinic?)

As well as the lack of response from the formerly missing person in the cafe there was this ...

After a few days of that I ran into one of the 'no response' unemployed at the gym and she agreed to a job interview. When I texted her after that, selecting any of the "Send A Text" options except "Nevermind ..." dropped me straight through to "Do you want to keep texting ..." without telling me what her response was. It stayed like that until the interview (I didn't hire her), after which she started responding normally to texts.
... which is definitely some sort of bug.

But whether it's bugs or hidden emergent narratives it detracts from playability.

You get no feedback as to why or for how long an NPC isn't responding, leaving you with the option of either texting them repeatedly for what can be months or forgetting about them until they show up again some day. What's more, my guess is the disabled unemployed NPCs are using up slots that would normally be taken by potential employees, making it harder to fill vacancies, especially in the early game. As I've pointed out, sometimes more than half the unemployed NPCs can be failing to respond to text messages at any time of day despite having neutral opinions of the MC.

So yeah, there may be a reason for it to happen, but as that reason (and its likely duration) is opaque to the player and beyond his influence it's effectively 'luck' again having a major impact on gameplay.

Last edited:

lineguy74

Sep 26, 2020
Has anyone had a problem where they couldn't call the drug dealer. I have tried to get a meeting, text, where are they, and meet up but each time keeps saying "no response". I have tried multiple days, skipped days, reloaded game, and exit game but nothing seems to change the response. Thank you

Not YrBroom

Feb 9, 2023
When I texted her after that, selecting any of the "Send A Text" options except "Nevermind ..." dropped me straight through to "Do you want to keep texting ..." without telling me what her response was.
I just had this happen to me with a city commissioner. I'd never tried to interview her for a job, so the issue isn't related to job candidates.

Aug 9, 2018
Appointments with the Doctor are getting scheduled for the same time as job interviews.

Doctor should take precedent, especially as there's a prompt saying 'do you want to go there now?'.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Has anyone had a problem where they couldn't call the drug dealer. I have tried to get a meeting, text, where are they, and meet up but each time keeps saying "no response". I have tried multiple days, skipped days, reloaded game, and exit game but nothing seems to change the response. Thank you
Everyone.
"First thing you learn is that you've always gotta wait".

I actually never got the drug dealer to work. (Or the private investigator for that matter). For me they are just two random guys roaming the streets (though it is pretty rare that they leave home it seems)

TotalFluke

Game Developer
Aug 24, 2021
Finally got to the point of the mobster fight and it's somehow worse than the previous version...

50 Health + 80 Energy + 60 fighting and winning the fight leaves you with -100 Health.

Given I won and the Health value has rounded back up to -100, I have to assume Ed is dead?
First person to 0 energy or -100 health loses. Tie goes to the defender (which in the case is you). I may fudge the health of the winner to avoid this situation though.

Lily eventually showed up but she was missing for quite a bit longer than Felix despite staying at home to heal. Is it likely she got hurt badly enough to need more than four months home rest? (BTW, does the MC also heal from mobster fights more quickly by staying in the club and just passing time and sleeping between visits to the clinic?)

As well as the lack of response from the formerly missing person in the cafe there was this ...

... which is definitely some sort of bug.

But whether it's bugs or hidden emergent narratives it detracts from playability.

You get no feedback as to why or for how long an NPC isn't responding, leaving you with the option of either texting them repeatedly for what can be months or forgetting about them until they show up again some day. What's more, my guess is the disabled unemployed NPCs are using up slots that would normally be taken by potential employees, making it harder to fill vacancies, especially in the early game. As I've pointed out, sometimes more than half the unemployed NPCs can be failing to respond to text messages at any time of day despite having neutral opinions of the MC.

So yeah, there may be a reason for it to happen, but as that reason (and its likely duration) is opaque to the player and beyond his influence it's effectively 'luck' again having a major impact on gameplay.
I already addressed the issue with the no response that you pointed out a few days back. Sorry I didn't make that clear that I was doing that. If an NPC is tired, hurt or asleep they won't respond to texts. Note also that club employees typically sleep in the mornings. Non-club employees typically sleep at night. If you text during those times, they are less likely to respond. If they are at work and they are not your employees they are also way less likely to respond.

Should an NPC take 4 months to heal? No, but that's the bug I pointed out yesterday. The MC can't stay home from work, so no, the MC only recovers health by going to the clinic as well a the standard weekly update. But as I pointed out yesterday as well, I'm changing that so that it happens whey they sleep not when they stay home from work.

See the discussion above with Magister Crudi. He's having the same issue with the PI. If your drug dealer got beat up and it's hurt he won't be responding to your requests. And because of a bug he may stay hurt longer than he should. Working on a fix for that bug.

Appointments with the Doctor are getting scheduled for the same time as job interviews.

Doctor should take precedent, especially as there's a prompt saying 'do you want to go there now?'.
They both should trigger back to back and you should be able to do both. Which one goes first is probably the first one that got scheduled, but not sure. It may be random. All these forced events should have a prompt asking if you want to do it and give you the opportunity to say no (parties, amateur contests, movie scene filming, training sessions, etc.). Non-scheduled events (like club disasters, mob visits, etc) do not have a prompt to avoid them, but those run after the scheduled ones.

Aug 9, 2018
They both should trigger back to back and you should be able to do both. Which one goes first is probably the first one that got scheduled, but not sure. It may be random. All these forced events should have a prompt asking if you want to do it and give you the opportunity to say no (parties, amateur contests, movie scene filming, training sessions, etc.). Non-scheduled events (like club disasters, mob visits, etc) do not have a prompt to avoid them, but those run after the scheduled ones.
If you choose to attend the interview, it cancels the Doctor appointment. The same thing happens with the cult meetings.

The choices are to attend the interview and not interact with anyone beyond the meeting event, or piss off the interviewee by cancelling the interview.

Going to the interview does not allow you to return to the meeting and pick up where you left off because the interview passes time and removes you from the meeting location. It should not occur until the previous event is complete. I'd fire my secretary if they kept double-booking me like that.

The interview is always granted after the appointment / meeting is locked in as it occurs within 3 days.

'Do you want to go to the Doctor appointment?'

Yes

*Arrive at the Doctor*

'Person X is waiting in your office for their interview, do you want to attend?'

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018
I did found a bug that triggers when the satisfaction drops below a certain amount it was setting itself to 0. That creates the cliff you are seeing.
I've just experienced this myself.

Does the satisfaction pick back up again if you simply reverse the latest change, or does it have to go through a new growth period where the public has to warm up to you again?

TotalFluke

Game Developer
Aug 24, 2021
If you choose to attend the interview, it cancels the Doctor appointment. The same thing happens with the cult meetings.

The choices are to attend the interview and not interact with anyone beyond the meeting event, or piss off the interviewee by cancelling the interview.

Going to the interview does not allow you to return to the meeting and pick up where you left off because the interview passes time and removes you from the meeting location. It should not occur until the previous event is complete. I'd fire my secretary if they kept double-booking me like that.

The interview is always granted after the appointment / meeting is locked in as it occurs within 3 days.

'Do you want to go to the Doctor appointment?'

Yes

*Arrive at the Doctor*

'Person X is waiting in your office for their interview, do you want to attend?'
Ok, I forgot that the clinic appointment does not trigger the get treatment interaction automatically, so yeah, that's a problem. You can then just go to the interview and then come back to the clinic later or the next day. There's no penalty for postponing the doctor appointment (other than perhaps pushing back by one day when you are healthy). But will look to see if I can find a way to fix it.

With the cult meeting, parties and amateur contest that use up two time periods, yeah, that's a problem. You can go to the first part of each but you will lose access to the second part. The second part is not required, it was added to create more opportunities to interact in those settings. And I don't see finding a solution to that issue. You will just have to decide what you rather do (when you can choose, other times you won't be able to).

What exactly does a person need to be the manager?
They need a college degree.

Was tooling around and found that I could initiate (or at least pay for) upgrades to rival club rooms.
Nice find! That's been there for a while. I'll put in a check for that.

I've just experienced this myself.

Does the satisfaction pick back up again if you simply reverse the latest change, or does it have to go through a new growth period where the public has to warm up to you again?
Should be fixed on the update I just published. Satisfaction would reverse immediately. But fame will need to recover bit by bit. So if you kept it at a 0 satisfaction for a week, your fame took a big hit. When you reverse the price, the satisfaction would recover immediately while fame would take a while to come back. Longer than it took to go down, most likely.

3.60 star(s) 21 Votes