3.60 star(s) 21 Votes
Aug 9, 2018
OK, now this is interesting. NPCs should not spawn hurt. But it looks as if they could be. That's not supposed to happen. Will fix.

I think the Park event may also be causing a high number of casualties.

The Park is one activity I visit every day to build Endurance / Health and it seems this event could be crippling society.

Starting a new playthrough, I stumbled across my injured bartender in the park. After going to their house etc, they've been out of action for 10 working days.

Shall be avoiding the park for a while since it seems to have more landmines than a Bosnian playground.

Last edited:
May 23, 2023
Yeah, I think that's a problem too.

That's why I speculated injuries weren't scaling to population. When I saw the results of checking three saves with console commands and saw the number of hurt NPCs wasn't getting higher as the overall population went from 47 to 68 and that the total number of injuries was very similar to the one TF said he'd seen with over 200 NPCs I figured the park was generating injuries at a flat rate and distributing them randomly among NPCs.

But it turns out that, unlike the MC, NPCs aren't crippled when their health drops below zero so TF and I were counting different things. He also says the park doesn't "get some random person hurt" so I guess that's not the issue.

And you don't have to be in the park to trigger the injury event. The NPC gets hurt whether you're there to help or not.

And I played your save for about a week and Cam the gym worker was back at work
As I said in several comments, Cam had been out of action since January. The save was from April. So if that's how the 1.01 healing tweak works then your idea of 'too long to heal' and mine don't match.

In any case I'm finding 1.01 annoying as often as it's enjoyable so I'm gonna give it a break for a while and see what SCW looks like in a month or so.

annne

Jan 3, 2020
Can someone write me the cheat commands for the dancing girl law since the game doesn't allow me to run that law at all

Aug 9, 2018
I don't know if it's just me that sees this yellow light.
similarly with dstu only there is a lot of it
The entries from the 3rd screenshot are because of a naming error on the 'fun' variants.

Find the files in your characters\lfm folder that end with -fu.png and rename them to end with -fun.png instead.

Not YrBroom

Feb 9, 2023
i haven't seen that issue with any of my image sets. Other than the files getting somehow corrupted during unzipping, I can't think why that would happen.

Natsu7Drag

May 30, 2023
It may show up for you, you just have to scroll the control panel to the very beginning. I tried a few times, I downloaded new ones and there is a lot of such information, especially when setting from dstu (that's why I have it turned off), you can see the rest.

Not YrBroom

Feb 9, 2023
It may show up for you, you just have to scroll the control panel to the very beginning. I tried a few times, I downloaded new ones and there is a lot of such information, especially when setting from dstu (that's why I have it turned off), you can see the rest.
I did check the console. I saw the "fu" warnings for the LFM images but no messages for mine or any others (although I don't have the dstu images installed). And my image sets are showing up in my game, which they wouldn't if the headshot wasn't loading.

Anyone else have issues with the nyb image sets?

TotalFluke

Game Developer
Aug 24, 2021
I checked the log file and it doesn't give any indication of the opinion drop.

Is there another way to check the effect of the interaction retrospectively?
All the opinion effects are listed on the Opinion Modifiers list (middle column of the character detail screen). So whatever caused the opinion to change would be listed there. There's no hidden opinions and there opinion is 0 when there's no modifiers. The values don't add up to the actual opinion, because the higher it is, the harder it is to change. So your individual modifiers can add up to 40 but the opinion may be just 30. But all of the would be listed there.

v1.01

Image sets are getting used multiple times.

At first I thought it was just an original image with a reworked one that may have come later, but that's not the case.

View attachment 4011349 View attachment 4011352
I haven't noticed that before. I'll have to check on that.

Sorry to add to healthcare woes, but 3 of my workers fell down the stairs in a 2 day period. It sucks because that represented 75% of my workforce. It would be nice to have a grace period of some sort. Or the ability to fire them for missing their first day of work.

They also stay sick for a while. There's 7 days of call-ins in the logs (they've been sick for longer), but one's health is still at -43. I'll DM a save, in case you want it.
So that situation is likely the result of you employing a bully that's beating people up in your club. Normally you may get two back to back which means those two got into a fight. You can then find a pattern soon enough and get rid of the worker with the anger management issues.

The Park is one activity I visit every day to build Endurance / Health and it seems this event could be crippling society.

Starting a new playthrough, I stumbled across my injured bartender in the park. After going to their house etc, they've been out of action for 10 working days.

Shall be avoiding the park for a while since it seems to have more landmines than a Bosnian playground.
The park event runs frequently (around 10% of the time you go for a run) or about 6% of the time an NPC does it. The frequency depends on the people in park, not some predetermined frequency. However, in general, these injuries are very minor and should take the affected character to around -5 health (more or less depending on their current health). They would normally not cause them to miss work because of it.

Can someone write me the cheat commands for the dancing girl law since the game doesn't allow me to run that law at all
cheat enable_law dancers_allowed

The other thing that it could be is that you installed the images twice in different locations? Based on the error message is trying to load those headshot images as poses, which will only do so if it already loaded the headshot image.

Reactions: Not YrBroom

lnomsim

Sep 12, 2021
Stupid question, considering the game has strings to change the proportion of female characters, sexual orientation and the sex of workers, is it possible to play with 100% female characters?

Reactions: Saltheart

Natsu7Drag

May 30, 2023
The other thing that it could be is that you installed the images twice in different locations? Based on the error message is trying to load those headshot images as poses, which will only do so if it already loaded the headshot image.
I had a similar case and the messages were a bit different
could it be the disk's fault? damaged or something? when I start a new game I'll transfer it to another disk.

busoni

Mar 15, 2022
TotalFluke First of all, thank you and great job on the game. I love Lab Rats 2 and it is small wonder I've been playing this game extensively since I found it. Tried to find the game on itch.io or a paypal or a way to buy you a coffee. If you got anything like that set up, let me know.

Now, some feedback (will try to make it constructive and probably won't be anything you didn't hear before, sorry if that's the case, i've read some posts but not all the thread) (it may get long so I will put it on spoiler to not create a wall of text for users who don't care):

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Let me know about buying you that coffee.

TotalFluke

Game Developer
Aug 24, 2021
Stupid question, considering the game has strings to change the proportion of female characters, sexual orientation and the sex of workers, is it possible to play with 100% female characters?
Not easily. You can add a setting to the user config file like:

female_probability float 1.0

and that will increase the proportion of women quite a bit, but there will still be men in the game. Characters created for specific purposes will ignore that value (e.g. a date for a straight female character will be a male - there's no way around that), characters that have a specific image (i.e. the mobsters, the policeman, etc.) will also ignore it. Finally, when creating random characters for specific roles (what's called an archetype) they will be created based on the percentages defined in the data/archetypes.txt file. You can edit that file and change the third field of every line to 0 and that will make it always follow the global value (the female_probability setting).

I had a similar case and the messages were a bit different
could it be the disk's fault? damaged or something? when I start a new game I'll transfer it to another disk.
I doubt that's it. If the disk was damaged I'd expect a lot bigger issues that some random files not being read. But who knows.

Reactions: lnomsim

TotalFluke

Game Developer
Aug 24, 2021
TotalFluke First of all, thank you and great job on the game. I love Lab Rats 2 and it is small wonder I've been playing this game extensively since I found it. Tried to find the game on itch.io or a paypal or a way to buy you a coffee. If you got anything like that set up, let me know.

Now, some feedback (will try to make it constructive and probably won't be anything you didn't hear before, sorry if that's the case, i've read some posts but not all the thread) (it may get long so I will put it on spoiler to not create a wall of text for users who don't care):

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Let me know about buying you that coffee.
Thanks for the feedback!

I don't have a patreon account or anything like that cause I don't feel going thru the hassle of signing up and explaining what it is that I do and them having them get all in my business as to whether or not they want to be associated with it. But thanks for the offer!

I did read your feedback and most of it makes sense and most of it has been suggested before. There's some good reasons why some of the stuff you suggest is not in the game. Mostly lack of time/other priorities. I will however address a couple of points (mostly to show I read it!)

1. Interface to modify options. This is actually a new suggestion and it's a good one. Now building UI entry forms is probably my least favorite thing to do but I will add it to the list so maybe one day I'll get to it.

2. The economy stuff is very difficult to balance properly. I had a separate "simulator" that I could use to plug in different values and see what works, but there's so many variables, that it just got too complex. I could spend all my time building a business simulator but that's not fun to develop and for most users to play. I understand and totally respect those that want a much more robust economic simulator, but honestly, outside of tweaks here and there, it's not going to get much better.

That said, the initial part of the game, you are supposed to lose money. In general you won't start breaking even until you can build an entrance or hire dancers. And then you probably need strippers to actually get to the point where you are out of debt. It's possible to do better than that, but it's not expected. But can be done without going more than $30-40 into debt. My real problem with it is that once you get strippers and your fame gets high enough, you start rolling in cash and at that point money doesn't matter anymore. I can introduce additional costs (property taxes, payroll taxes, health insurance for workers, building upkeep, etc. But all that would do is just push back the point of "rolling in cash" a bit. So yeah, I'm not sure that there's an answer here.

2.3 I'm not sure if I understand your opinion economy issue. The reaction that characters have to those interactions already incorporate their personality and have a base value of 5 points of opinion. If it's not working as you would expect provide me with more details and maybe I can explain. For example if you give a gift to someone that doesn't like attention and has very low greed, they may actually like you less.

4.1 See my previous post for more details on how to increase the proportion of female characters. It's probably the most requested thing that I haven't implemented. One day I'll give up and add some override. And you are correct on that "opinion_exponent" comment.

Again, thanks for the feedback and feel free to keep it coming.

Not YrBroom

Feb 9, 2023
The gains from working out still seem too small to me. But then, that's true in real life as well.

However, they definitely seem out of scale to the gains in sex skills, where you can gain dozens of points from a single date.

busoni

Mar 15, 2022
I did read your feedback and most of it makes sense and most of it has been suggested before. There's some good reasons why some of the stuff you suggest is not in the game. Mostly lack of time/other priorities. I will however address a couple of points (mostly to show I read it!)
You didn't have to prove you read it, but kind of you to do :)

1. Interface to modify options. This is actually a new suggestion and it's a good one. Now building UI entry forms is probably my least favorite thing to do but I will add it to the list so maybe one day I'll get to it.
Yeah I understand the tedium, but you'd be surprised how much value it adds. I'm singing the gospel of the game around (to a very select few friends since these games are usually guilty pleasures and many would frown upon) and when I sent a screenshot to a friend his first response was "Oh that U.I.... 'I can fix her'". Things like quick save and quick load for save scumming, pleasing aesthetics and menu navigation, add a lot to it.

2. The economy stuff is very difficult to balance properly. I had a separate "simulator" that I could use to plug in different values and see what works, but there's so many variables, that it just got too complex. I could spend all my time building a business simulator but that's not fun to develop and for most users to play. I understand and totally respect those that want a much more robust economic simulator, but honestly, outside of tweaks here and there, it's not going to get much better.
I can respect that. Unfortunately that kinda defeats all the other suggestions to make money more meaningful, such as shopping for items/specific gifts or upgrades for the house. By the time I got dancers and entrance, it's been already few hours in the save (this halving the building times) I've already charmed the girls I wanted, got the harem rolling and threesomes keeping everyone happy and raising stats with newcomers. The feeling that I got not much left to do (on the girls interaction front) creeps in. The house upgrades, gifts and personal stat gains should fit in between that journey.

2.3 I'm not sure if I understand your opinion economy issue. The reaction that characters have to those interactions already incorporate their personality and have a base value of 5 points of opinion. If it's not working as you would expect provide me with more details and maybe I can explain. For example if you give a gift to someone that doesn't like attention and has very low greed, they may actually like you less.
This could easily be my bad, as I commented, my attempts felt futile so I didn't make extensive use of the options, but just to clarify. I went to a girl with 40/80 (op/att). I just did some small talk with her, she ended up liking me more 41/80. I load, I go into "try for her to like me more", I compliment her -> 41/80. I give her a small token of appreciation 20$ -> 41/80... these tests lead me to "why go through the trouble to get a +1?.

Now, if you tell me that under the right conditions instead of 41/80 i would end up with 45/80, then it's my bad and I just talked with a very small sample size for experience.

4.1 See my previous post for more details on how to increase the proportion of female characters. It's probably the most requested thing that I haven't implemented. One day I'll give up and add some override. And you are correct on that "opinion_exponent" comment.
I just saw, it's good to know about the archetypes, that was missing info for me.
I've been toying with actually deleting male chars, reassigning their jobs or clubs to other girls, keeping the city female only. The save file structure... it keeps me up at night... must be hell inside your head. :grin:

Have a good day TF and thanks again.

Saltheart

Sep 2, 2017
female_probability float 1.0

Fantastic! Going to give that a shot.
I don't mind men running around - but I hire only women and this might just help things along. Thank you!

Reactions: ssynergy

busoni

Mar 15, 2022
same happened to me. It was still early in the game so started a new one.

v1.01

Image sets are getting used multiple times.

At first I thought it was just an original image with a reworked one that may have come later, but that's not the case.
Just in case it helps. I was getting this too, but i was doing unspeakable things to the save files so I blamed it on me, until yesterday it happened to me on a brand new save. I thought maybe it was a naming problem and I remember I downloaded 2 girl packs, the one from the first page and someone that made a compilation and put the link on a post. I figured it was the same but hey, they can always overwrite and maybe there are some chars on one that are not on the other.

I decided to clear the char folder and put only the pack from the first page, and so far so good.
Can't say it is what's happening to you, but just in case...

Last edited:
3.60 star(s) 21 Votes