4.60 star(s) 38 Votes

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
Wait, what? I don't take that as fact at all! "Just the fact that it can be "canon" already makes it canon." These games aren't analogous to tv or movies where we talk about being "canon or not canon" because most of those shows occur in a consistent universe.

Compare it to branching video game stories in a different context; in Fallout 3, the lone wanderer (mc) can either be a good guy from the start, helping settlements and people, or he can be known as the evil guy who detonated an a-bomb and killed everyone in Megaton.

By your logic, the mere existence of that option means the mc there is inherently evil, canonically evil, even when a given player's lone wanderer may have never harmed a civilian.

In case my prior post referencing a 'padding room' was too opaque, this is all a big compliment to Bobbyboy. Giving Luke and Kathryn choices that fundamentally shape what kind of character they are, and have historically been... <---- this is exactly what a writer should be doing in an avn.
Some devs do choose canon paths for their games they have even said so but I don't think Bobby has for this.

Filipis

Nov 15, 2022
Wait, what? I don't take that as fact at all! "Just the fact that it can be "canon" already makes it canon." These games aren't analogous to tv or movies where we talk about being "canon or not canon" because most of those shows occur in a consistent universe.

Compare it to branching video game stories in a different context; in Fallout 3, the lone wanderer (mc) can either be a good guy from the start, helping settlements and people, or he can be known as the evil guy who detonated an a-bomb and killed everyone in Megaton.

By your logic, the mere existence of that option means the mc there is inherently evil, canonically evil, even when a given player's lone wanderer may have never harmed a civilian.

In case my prior post referencing a 'padding room' was too opaque, this is all a big compliment to Bobbyboy. Giving Luke and Kathryn choices that fundamentally shape what kind of character they are, and have historically been... <---- this is exactly what a writer should be doing in an avn.
Well, I meant “canon” as in one facet of their personality, their potential for this particular behavioural affinity. The MC in Fallout 3 (never played it, going off your description here) is neither good or bad, because ultimately, they are supposed to represent the player. They are neither, but they can be both. Hence, both are equally canon. Kathryn is, by this line of reasoning, both a “retired slut” or “an innocent birdie”. At least, she would be if the dev hasn’t confirmed Kathryn had a “wild past before she met Luke”. Which only gives credence to Kathryn’s “slut” personality being the “canon” path, and the resulting paradox of characterization.

Reactions: Scotty Doesn't Know

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
true, particularly when they have sequels planned out for a specific canon ending for the first game. I kinda hate that, though.
Oh bro you have no idea how much I hate that. It's made me want to put my fist through my wall when devs say that and I haven't done that since I was a teenager.

It's even made me delete games of my steam account. Thank goodness Bobby won't do that well at least I hope not.

GetOutOfMyLab

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
Oh bro you have no idea how much I hate that. It's made me want to put my fist through my wall when devs say that and I haven't done that since I was a teenager.

It's even made me delete games of my steam account. Thank goodness Bobby won't do that well at least I hope not.
It's like, "You played this whole first game making the choices you want and ending up with who you want... but hey! Here's our sequel to that game where we predetermined everything based on a specific path from the old game and none of your choices mattered! Have fun!"

• Red Heart
Reactions: Joshy92

sagerock820

Nov 5, 2023
It's like, "You played this whole first game making the choices you want and ending up with who you want... but hey! Here's our sequel to that game where we predetermined everything based on a specific path from the old game and none of your choices mattered! Have fun!"
I'm so glad I have not come across that. I would be so pissed off! lol

Pr0GamerJohnny

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 7, 2022
Well, I meant “canon” as in one facet of their personality, their potential for this particular behavioural affinity. The MC in Fallout 3 (never played it, going off your description here) is neither good or bad, because ultimately, they are supposed to represent the player. They are neither, but they can be both. Hence, both are equally canon. Kathryn is, by this line of reasoning, both a “retired slut” or “an innocent birdie”. At least, she would be if the dev hasn’t confirmed Kathryn had a “wild past before she met Luke”. Which only gives credence to Kathryn’s “slut” personality being the “canon” path, and the resulting paradox of characterization.
I totally agreed with the first half of your post! Both are indeed possible canon stories, as they represent the player - indeed, Kath can either be a retired slut or innocent birdie.

When did bobbyboy confirm she had a wild past? And even if he did - that's a wide range of interpretation unless he mentioned specifics.

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
I totally agreed with the first half of your post! Both are indeed possible canon stories, as they represent the player - indeed, Kath can either be a retired slut or innocent birdie.

When did bobbyboy confirm she had a wild past? And even if he did - that's a wide range of interpretation unless he mentioned specifics.
He said she was a little wild during her college days but I doubt it was too hardcore. He's doing the prequel which will shed more light on her past.

• Wow
Reactions: Pr0GamerJohnny

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
dammit i thought the last update was the 'prequel'. :confused:
I actually have a theory about Kathryn, and I would like your opinion bro.

I think underneath the surface she is a sexual beast, and Luke doesn't know what he's in for unleashing it do you get that feeling or is it only me?

That shower scene where she talks dirty imagining the dirty old dudes shooting there cum in her feels like it to me.

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
The way I view sequels / prequels that have pre determined canon decisions especially ones I do not like I just act like it's an alternative universe / don't exist. Kind of what I do with Star Wars I only act like George Lucas + Legends Star Wars exist while Disney Star Wars does not.

In regards to the prequel even if he makes the blow bang in the trailer canon. I don't see it as a big deal to the point it would ruin Kathryn's character of being innocent and Luke needing to push her to share her with other men + hobos. As I doubt Bobby will take away our choices in the prequel I assume we will be allowed to have Kathryn be as wild or pure and innocent as we want.

Personally im a bit more excited for the prequel than the rest of this game currently as much as I love East Block. I just love Kathryn and been wanting to see a how they met and became a couple scene for a long time.

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
The way I view sequels / prequels that have pre determined canon decisions especially ones I do not like I just act like it's an alternative universe / don't exist. Kind of what I do with Star Wars I only act like George Lucas + Legends Star Wars exist while Disney Star Wars does not.

In regards to the prequel even if he makes the blow bang in the trailer canon. I don't see it as a big deal to the point it would ruin Kathryn's character of being innocent and Luke needing to push her to share her with other men + hobos. As I doubt Bobby will take away our choices in the prequel I assume we will be allowed to have Kathryn be as wild or pure and innocent as we want.

Personally im a bit more excited for the prequel than the rest of this game currently as much as I love East Block. I just love Kathryn and been wanting to see a how they met and became a couple scene for a long time.
I don't even consider that last scene to be cheating if we go down that road.

Originally, I wasn't excited for the prequal but I'm warming up to the idea now, but the main game is what I'll enjoy the most.

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
I don't even consider that last scene to be cheating if we go down that road.
Technically you are right since it's a first date and I doubt they are exclusive or anything at that point. But I kind of view is as cheating / NTR for one reason they are on a first date together. Since it's before any of the sharing desires of Luke became known and he has no idea about it feels like a real shitty thing to do no matter the reason on a first date. Now if she went to the concert alone and did it wouldn't of been a big deal to me / see it as such until they are exclusive.

Which is why I don't like that scene other than for how hot it was. Only reason im even going through with it on my main save is im hoping that decisions come up at some point in the story again and Luke finds out. Maybe it will start a argument and could start the cheating path for Kathryn if the argument gets heated or something. I do think it will have some kind of consequence later if you allow it to happen , since Klem knows the truth about it now. ( think that is her name I always forget it)

sagerock820

Nov 5, 2023
Technically you are right since it's a first date and I doubt they are exclusive or anything at that point. But I kind of view is as cheating / NTR for one reason they are on a first date together. Since it's before any of the sharing desires of Luke became known and he has no idea about it feels like a real shitty thing to do no matter the reason on a first date. Now if she went to the concert alone and did it wouldn't of been a big deal to me / see it as such until they are exclusive.

Which is why I don't like that scene other than for how hot it was. Only reason im even going through with it on my main save is im hoping that decisions come up at some point in the story again and Luke finds out. Maybe it will start a argument and could start the cheating path for Kathryn if the argument gets heated or something. I do think it will have some kind of consequence later if you allow it to happen , since Klem knows the truth about it now. ( think that is her name I always forget it)
Agree, even though it's a questionable first date, it feels like cheating. Not a fan of having that be 'canon'. It's not on my canon route.

bulbor

Aug 22, 2019
Nah, the second scene definitely "ruined" Kathryn for me, the whole premise of the game started with the fact that the main couple was just an ordinary couple before Luke started getting these fantasies. Now, it looks like Kathryn was always going to play along because she did far "worse" stuff in the past. Some sort of a born-again virgin...
Yep, that certainly ruined it for me a bit to. Encouraging her to do naughty things now is like trying to teach a politician how to lie.

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
Yep, that certainly ruined it for me a bit to. Encouraging her to do naughty things now is like trying to teach a politician how to lie.
kind of why I just pretend it didn't happen even though I went with that choice on my main save as I want to see if there will be consequences later for doing so. Normally I would of rolled back and not let Kat do it.

4.60 star(s) 38 Votes