BlockHead

Jun 24, 2017
I may have found a solution, downloading a game to try out;

Last post. Its not the same game, but had same problem.
Update: Tested, and its working, had two crashes so far, in ~2 hours window.
Tested this. For me it didn't crash, however, the performance steadily gets worse and loading times are still very long, still rendering this not worth playing at the moment.

Asczery

Aug 24, 2022

So i applied this. Can confirm that the game wont crash after setting this. (At least not about some MaxObjects)
But still, the game will continue to consume huge amounts of RAM after some time. Well, certainly because of the mentioned setting in the eninge.ini and also because of general memory leaks. So be warned.

VanillaLover

Jun 15, 2021
Tested this. For me it didn't crash, however, the performance steadily gets worse and loading times are still very long, still rendering this not worth playing at the moment.
Overly simplified but the game basically keeps the stuff you loaded in previous areas, so it's always just in there sitting and you're basically loading everything at the same time constantly.

Reactions: BlockHead

kekpuker

Sep 21, 2020

It doesn't fix the inevitable, it just delays it at the cost of consuming more resources.

DKOC

Feb 1, 2019
Then remove some zeroes.

Its saying it can have a maximum of 100 Million objects in a scene. Not polygons, but objects.

So drop that down to 100,000 instead. That should still be sufficient numbers to get everything to load, without requiring 100x more RAM.

malicardy

Feb 6, 2019
Then remove some zeroes.

Its saying it can have a maximum of 100 Million objects in a scene. Not polygons, but objects.

So drop that down to 100,000 instead. That should still be sufficient numbers to get everything to load, without requiring 100x more RAM.
You're missing the point. The game keeps loading more and more objects and none of them ever get unloaded until the engine is using up so much memory that performance degrades until it either crashes or, with that tweak, gets so bad it becomes unplayable.

Rdcbr2

May 18, 2020
Then remove some zeroes.

Do this and your game crashes after about one or two minutes

Tankmanenjoyer

Apr 8, 2023
The dialogue is all over the place all of a sudden, I remember it working in previous versions but now, when I went to the Hanker for the first quest and initiated the dialogue it keeps on repeating the greetings over and over for some reason, the same applies to the scavs btw so it's not an isolated issue
edit: I should also add that this bug can be a softlock in the case of the scavs because you basically can't exit the conversation, and if you quit it corrupts your save

Last edited:

Astcit

Jan 14, 2021
Yes. Update to Windows 10 or Linux :cool:
You use Mint don't you? Confess! No! You use... Arch... :WutFace:

Not gonna lie tho, being a full AMD user, Nvidia's monopoly is really fucking pissing me off to the point I seriously am considering to give some distro a try, since ROCm fucking rocks on linux. It's taking too fucking long for ROCm and Zluda to fuck Nvidia's ass back. And now that even AMD themselves sucked Nvidia's dick so hard it came out the other side (cease and desist for Zluda), shit seems even worse.

But back to the game's topic: Is there anyway to make a garbage collector from outside UE? Since the root of the problem seems to be memory leak, sending the OS a request for memory cleanup could prevent leak to some degree, no?

I remember using apps long time ago that would trigger the OS to flush the RAM on intervals. It made possible for me to play some games that needed 8GB of RAM on my old PC that only had 4GB of RAM.
Of course it didn't solve the worse performance of not having memory free, but at least made things playable that wouldn't even load before.

kekpuker

Sep 21, 2020
You use Mint don't you? Confess! No! You use... Arch... :WutFace:
Mint is great until you want to game on it. Being an Ubuntu LTS based means you have 2-years old kernels and drivers which is bad for gaming performance. Slapping some PPAs on top makes your system a Frankenstein mix of fresh and years old drivers and libraries making stability worse. And Ubuntu non-LTS is a complete shit with its never ending "oh no something has gone wrong" unexpected popups. Anything Arch-based is so much better if you can update your system at least once a week (I don't mind doing it daily).

As for the computing stuff - my job doesn't require anything related to it. Though later I've been playing with Stable Diffusion like everyone else and using something like to install some SD UI was just a single click experience for me - no problems running things on my Radeon.

But back to the game's topic: Is there anyway to make a garbage collector from outside UE? Since the root of the problem seems to be memory leak, sending the OS a request for memory cleanup could prevent leak to some degree, no?
The problem here is not being amount of RAM consumed, but amount of game objects alive. Error that happens for everyone crashing game doesn't mean "you don't have enough memory". It means "engine can't handle any more objects". Of course you can adjust that limit (as already was posted in this thread) but it will just lead to more RAM and CPU consumption. The game engine should check each object if it can be destroyed and bigger the list - slower it gets. Eventually you still get the same crash, just some time later.

So to do the fix you need a very simple thing in this case - source code to find the place where those objects are constantly created and never destroyed. Maybe it is possible to do "externally" with some UE4SS mod but adjusting game engine mechanisms is a lot more complicated than tinkering with game developer's scripts.

Reactions: Astcit

Astcit

Jan 14, 2021
The problem here is not being amount of RAM consumed, but amount of game objects alive. Error that happens for everyone crashing game doesn't mean "you don't have enough memory". It means "engine can't handle any more objects".
Oh, ok I get it now, so it's not memory leak. The engine is just being dumb with objects management.
I thought UE had basic systems implemented in it's projects blueprints/presets to prevent this type of things happening, like basic garbage collector despawning things when they get out of view or past a certain distance from the player, view frustum object occlusion and all that shit.
But probably it was some small change somwhere that fucked shit over some other place it should not have, and dev didn't catch it before uploading.

DKOC

Feb 1, 2019
There might be a console command you could do with UE5, to unload unused assets or something. Not sure if console is enabled for Delta Zone though.

kekpuker

Sep 21, 2020
But probably it was some small change somwhere that fucked shit over some other place it should not have, and dev didn't catch it before uploading.
That may be as well a developer mistake too. Like storing those objects in their scripts for whatever reason and never deleting them. And game engine be like "oh this object is explicitly used by game code developer wrote, won't delete it". Looking at the changes they did to "protection" mechanism so that I had to update my crack, there may be significant changes in game code too that lead to this bug.

kekpuker

Sep 21, 2020
There is one test anyone can try to do.

• Open game console by pressing F10. Game crack is required for this to work.
  • You should see a black line on bottom of the screen.
    1724930981464.png
  • Hit F10 again to open full console
  • Type in the following gc.CollectGarbageEveryFrame 1 and hit Enter.
    1724931053631.png
  • You should get a confirmation from the game it accepted the new setting.
    1724931102032.png
  • Close the console by pressing F10 again.
  • Try to play the game as usual to see what happens. Probably it won't fix anything but at least we tried ;)

Rdcbr2

May 18, 2020
There is one test anyone can try to do.

• Open game console by pressing F10. Game crack is required for this to work.
  • You should see a black line on bottom of the screen.
    View attachment 3978720
  • Hit F10 again to open full console
  • Type in the following gc.CollectGarbageEveryFrame 1 and hit Enter.
    View attachment 3978762
  • You should get a confirmation from the game it accepted the new setting.
    View attachment 3978763
  • Close the console by pressing F10 again.
  • Try to play the game as usual to see what happens. Probably it won't fix anything but at least we tried ;)

For me this seems to work
Game didn't crash after 30 minutes. However it's immediately lagging really bad
Can't have a dialogue with traders or soldiers cause the convo keeps starting from the beginning

When you press tab to open the inventory you're able to walk away from them. The dialogue doesn't end. But every other soldier wants to talk to you also, so won't shoot at you. While you can kill them all.

Now the game also loads normally when I go to another map. Before it would just get stuck in loading screen.

3.60 star(s) 57 Votes